Wednesday, April 3, 2013

More Chicken!

There are alot of ingredients out there that I don't like, surprise surprise! I have learned to eat around them, but I have noticed sometimes the dishes just don't taste the same when you take things out! One of those hated items would be mushrooms, but I like chicken Marsala. My hubby likes mushrooms so this ends up working out perfectly, I make it as called for and eat around the fungi :)


Chicken Marsala
Courtesy of Betty Crocker

1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 boneless chicken breasts
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I only make this much for my hubby)
1/4 c sliced green onion
3 tbsp butter
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c dry Marsala or dry sherry
*Betty says that Marsala can range from dry to extremely sweet, and to use dry. I bought a bottle of Marsala at Food Lion, it just says Marsala and on the label it said something about gourmet cooking so that's why I chose it, plus it was less than $10!

In a bowl stir together flour, marjoram, salt, pepper. Place chicken between plastic wrap, and pound out to 1/4in with flat side of meat mallet. ( I suck at measuring :( so good luck with that, hopefully you can judge thicknesses. If it ends up thicker, it will just take longer to cook. This is where my handy dandy thermometer comes in to play). Coat both sides of the chicken in mixture.

In large skillet cook mushrooms, green onion, and 1 tbsp of butter over medium-high until tender. (Betty says to remove from skillet afterwards, but I don't because well, I didn't wanna :) and I can tell you that it does taste slightly different if you take them out vs. leave them in, and my hubby thinks its better to leave them in. Up to you though). Cook chicken in the other 2 tbsp of butter for 5-6 min, turning to brown evenly.

Remove from heat (add mushrooms again if you took them out), carefully add broth and Marsala to skillet. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 2 more min, stirring occasionally.

I make this with only 2 chicken breasts, although it calls for 4. I like to have some sauce leftover for the pasta or mashed potatoes, both go good with this!

Happy Eating Y'all!
(I've developed a southern accent after 4 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment