Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chicken par-my-gosssh

We. Love. Chicken. I love Italian, so chicken parmigiana is perfect! So easy to make :) Most of these things you will already have!

1/3 cup chopped onion (frozen onion comes in handy *wink wink*)
1 clove garlic (I used 2)
1 tbsp butter
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes undrained
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
dash black pepper
1/4 cup snipped basil

Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 min, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Keep warm and set aside. *When I made this I didn't see where the basil ever went in and so I saved it until the end and sprinkled it on top of the whole dish, but to be honest, it probably would have been just as good without it and I would have saved $2.50ish from not buying fresh basil! Up to you though.

4 skinless chicken breasts
    *I used 2, but they were huge!
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs (it said seasoned but I used plain)
4 tbsp grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp dried crushed oregano
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella

In between 2 pieces of plastic, use meat mallet and pound chicken lightly to about 1/4 inch thick. In small dish combine egg and milk. In another dish combine bread crumbs and 3 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, evenly coating both sides in each mixture. In large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil and cook chicken about 2-3 minutes per side. *If you do not pound the chicken out, or to 1/4in, it will take longer to cook, which is what happened to me since apparently I missed the day in school on how to measure things in inches! Took about 5 minutes per side, but be careful not to leave it to thick or the breading will start to burn!

Transfer to serving dish (or in this case our plates) and spoon sauce over chicken. Top with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Enjoy!

 
Don't pay attention to the dirty table!
 
This sauce is more chunky than saucy, so if your not into eating tomoatoes than you may want to rethink this sauce. I'm not really sure what you would use instead of diced tomatoes, maybe tomato puree instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment